We learned last week that a class-action lawsuit was filed against the city of San Diego as well as the scooter companies Bird, Lime, and Razor. The suit claims that the city has failed to keep the sidewalks clear from “an onslaught of unregulated dockless scooters.”
The lawsuit was filed by Disabilities Rights California (DCA) and says the city is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act because they cannot keep the sidewalks clear of the electric scooters that have inundated the area over the last year. They say that these scooters are a danger to those who are visually impaired and those who use walkers and wheelchairs.
In the lawsuit, we hear stories about how these scooters have affected locals. One story revolves around Alex Montoya, a man born without arms and has only one leg. He was struck by a scooter and had no way to prepare for the impact.
The Ways People Get Hurt
In the story above, we see just how much electric scooters are affecting people in major cities right now. We also know that there are many other ways in which people are harmed as they go about their daily activities. Today, we will cover a few of those ways, but please understand that this is not a complete list and always see qualified legal advice when considering a personal injury claim.
- Vehicle Crashes – There are hundreds of thousands of vehicle accidents in California each year. Over 12,000 people sustained serious,, life-altering injuries in the latest reporting year.
- Medical Errors – We now know that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind only heart disease and cancer. These are usually preventable and happen due to a healthcare professional’s negligence.
- Slip and Fall Incidents – These accidents, along with other types of premises liability incidents, are usually preventable by property owners and their employees. Wet floors and other hazards send millions to the hospital each year.
- Dog Bites/Attacks – Many pet owners ignore local laws that related to keeping their pets properly contained and under control. This can include leash laws. There are over 4 million bites reported each year in the US and over 800,000 of those require medical attention.
- Faulty Products – At any given moment, there are hundreds of faulty products being recalled that have made it into the hands of consumers.
If You Are Injured
We know that the last thing you expect when you go out is to get injured due to another person’s negligence. We know, however, that a lack of regulation combined with reckless behavior can cause serious harm. In the case above, we see that scooters are major problems right now, but they are just one way in which people get hurt. If you need a San Diego personal injury attorney, Edward “Skip” Babbitt is ready to help you recover compensation for all of your incident-related expenses. You can contact us or call 619-543-1789 for a free consultation.