With the holiday season, many people are out buying toys for the children in their lives. That is why the news that the state of New York suing major retailers Target and Walmart, along with importer LaRose Industries, has people checking the toys they have already bought.
Attorney General Barbara D. Underwood says that those retailers “committed deceptive acts, false advertising, and thousands of violations of state laws related to selling hazardous toys.” The toys in question are Cra-Z-Jewelz jewelry making kits sold between 2015 and 2016, which are said to have contained toxic levels of lead.
We know that this is just one more example of the items we purchase and use in our homes can cause us harm. Edward “Skip” Babbitt is here for you if you or a loved one have gotten injured or become ill due to an item you purchased. When you need a San Diego product liability lawyer, contact us today.
What Can Happen?
While many people only think of vehicles and toys when it comes to harmful products, we know there are many other ways people get hurt by the items they purchase. Scroll through the government website that tracks current recalls and you will be surprised by what you find. A quick look shows some of the following:
- Caramel treats that did not declare they had hazelnuts in the ingredients.
- Infant ibuprofen with high levels of the medication.
- Asparagus spears that could contain Listeria.
- A children’s dresser that has a high risk of tipping over.
When we consider the ways in which people can get hurt by products, we can narrow them down to three basic faults:
- A poor design that was not discovered until after mass distribution or after someone became injured or ill.
- A manufacturing defect that occurred and altered the product from its original design, making it potentially harmful to consumers.
- The product was not labeled correctly. This can include not having the correct dosages or side effects listed for medications. It can also include not displaying ingredients in foods as well as not posting hazards for other products.
Getting hurt from a product is unexpected and can have devastating consequences. We know that it can affect your enjoyment of life as well as your ability to work. The medical expenses can be tremendous, but they are not the only cost of getting hurt by a product. If you cannot work, you will lose out on income needed to support yourself and your family.
What Are Your Options
If you or a loved one have been harmed due to a faulty product you purchased, you need to seek legal assistance. When you need help, Edward “Skip” Babbitt is ready to step in and secure the compensation you need. This includes:
- Coverage of medical expenses
- Lost wage recovery
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages