Guillermo Jimenez, a 29-year-old Chula Vista man, turned himself over to police three days after a March 11 accident that killed a man.
On that day, 62-year-old Rogelio Medrano was getting into his car to go to work when a BMW, driven by Jimenez, struck him. After the collision, Jimenez continued driving and left the area.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, Medrano died at the scene.
Jimenez pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter and hit-and-run causing death and has now been sentenced to three years in prison.
We know that this kind of accident highlights the many dangers faced each day by our citizens in and around the city. When you need a Chula Vista wrongful death attorney, you can count on Edward “Skip” Babbitt to be by your side, working to secure the compensation you deserve to provide closure for your family.
There is no single way that wrongful death cases arise. They happen when the negligence of another person, company, or entity leads to the death of someone else, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
Below, we will cover some common ways these cases arise, but this list is not complete. We urge you to seek a qualified attorney to examine your individual case.
- Vehicle accidents – in the case above, a pedestrian was killed in a vehicle accident. While we do not know of the driver was intoxicated at the time because he fled the scene, we do know that, in California, drunk drivers were responsible for 27 percent of all traffic-related deaths in the latest reporting year. We know that distracted drivers, as well as those who speed, are also more likely to cause fatalities.
- Workplace accidents – OSHA reports that there were more than 5,000 people killed in workplace accidents for the latest year reported. Those incidents are often caused by employer negligence. This can include a failure to provide safety equipment or training.
- Faulty products – look at the government website that tracks current recalls and you will find many products on the market that are poorly designed, have a manufacturing flaw, or a labeled incorrectly. All of these problems can potentially be fatal for consumers.
- Medical mistakes – these are the now the third leading cause of death in the US, and can include hospital-acquired infections, medication errors, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, and more.
We know how incredibly difficult it can be to deal with losing a loved one in an unexpected accident. Even more shocking is discovering that someone else’s negligence contributed to the death. Edward “Skip” Babbitt understands what you are going through and he wants to help.
When you need a Chula Vista wrongful death attorney, he will sit patiently with you to go over your options. He knows that you need compensation for the following:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost and future income of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages against the responsible party