An investigation by the FDA has revealed that 57 people in 16 states have become sick from eating beef that contains salmonella. The Arizona Company at the center of the recall says that as much as 6.5 million pounds of raw, non-intact products may be contaminated.
You can click here to see a full list of the recalled items.
When you buy a product to use or consume, the last thing on your mind is that it may make you or someone you love sick or cause them to get injured. That is because we expect a strict standard of quality from our products.
But think about how many items you use on a daily basis. From the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep, you use hundreds, maybe thousands, of products to get through your day. Some of the things you use, like your vehicles, have thousands of individual products themselves. How can we be sure they are all safe?
If you need a product liability attorney in Chula Vista, you can count on the Law Offices of Edward J. Babbitt, APC.
What Can Go Wrong?
Until we see news stories like the one above, we never really think about the things we buy causing us harm. Even when we see the stories, we think, “That’s them, not me.”
Unfortunately, you never know when a faulty product will change your life. It happens all the time. Take a quick look at the government website that tracks recalls and you will quickly see the magnitude of what can go wrong.
Here are some examples:
- A cow milk cheese recalled due to improper pasteurization.
- A Furosemide saline IV bad recalled because it contained visible particulate matter (remember, this is meant to go into your veins).
- Cookies recalled due to undeclared peanuts.
- Ibuprofen oral suspension recalled due to the dosage cup having incorrect markings.
Product liability cases arise in one of three ways:
- Faulty Design – If a product is designed poorly, it can malfunction and cause harm. Sometimes, a faulty design is not discovered until well after a product has hit the market, often resulting in recalls after millions of people have been affected.
- Manufacturing Issues – If a product is built differently than the design calls for or there is an issue while it is being produced, it may not work how it is supposed to, altering it from its original intended purpose.
- Labeling Problems – Manufacturers must properly warn consumers of all hazards concerning their products. If a product can burn if it gets too hot, there should be a warning on the label. If a medication has a side effect, the label should say it.
What You Can Do
If you or a loved one have been injured or gotten ill because of a product you have used or consumed, you need to seek legal assistance. Product liability cases are complex and you cannot tackle them by yourself. Rest assured that the other side will have a team of attorneys ready to take you on, even if it is clear they are at fault. At the Law Offices of Edward J. Babbitt, APC, we want to help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries. You can contact us by clicking here or calling 619-543-1789 for a free consultation.