In news that we are sure that many people did not want to hear around Thanksgiving, the USDA has issued a recall for 147,276 pounds of raw ground turkey products that they believe may be associated with an outbreak of Salmonella poisoning.
The USDA and the CDC conducted traceback activities on a patient that tested positive to the Salmonella strain and discovered the source last week. They have been working on an illness cluster of 164 patients in 35 states.
We know that you purchase and use many products in your household. We also know that you expect those products to be safe. Unfortunately, there are times when companies get unsafe products to the market. Often, the safety concerns are not discovered until someone is injured or becomes ill.
Do you know what to do if something you use or consume causes you harm?
If you need a San Diego product liability attorney, you can count on Edward “Skip” Babbitt to be by your side, working to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
What Can Happen?
Each of us uses thousands of products a day and we usually do not think twice about it. From our coffeemaker and bacon in the morning to our vehicles that have thousands of parts, we trust the things we buy to be safe.
We also know that there are currently thousands of products under recall in the United States right now. They span all industries, from vehicles and appliances to food and medicines.
Product liability cases usually arise in one of three ways:
- The products have a faulty design from the start that makes them dangerous to the consumer. Often, the design flaw is not discovered until after millions of units have been sold. Design problems can happen in hard goods, cosmetics, foods, etc.
- The products experience a manufacturing error that alters them from their original design and makes them unsafe for consumers.
- They are labeled incorrectly, leading to a misuse of the product. This can include hazards or side effects not being listed. It can also include allergens not being labeled on cosmetics or food ingredients. There are even times when medication dosages are not properly labeled, leading to serious health consequences.
What You Can Do
If you or someone you love has been injured or become ill because of a product used or consumed, seek legal assistance now. Product liability cases can become complex and Edward “Skip” Babbitt wants to make sure you are in good hands. You can count on him to investigate your claims and sit with you to figure out the best path forward.
You may be eligible for the following:
- Coverage for your medical expenses
- Lost income of you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages against the company or manufacturer